यूँ अपने हाथों खुद को ...

Yun Apne Haathon Khud Ko …
There are times when we feel the guilt of indulging too much in life's pleasures. And then there are times when sighing through the monotony of life, we mourn for our heart's lost desires.
`Yun Apne Haathon Khud Ko` is an expression of getting torn between these two conflicting emotions.


Presented below is essentially a literal English translation of this ghazal. A lot of effort and ability is required to carry over the charm of poetic expression and aesthetic value present in any original work into another language. I am afraid I do not have this ability. Yet I wanted to reach out to a wider audience. So even at the risk of sounding dull, I have attempted, by the way of this translation, to somehow try to covey the underlying idea of the ghazal however coarse it may seem though. I deeply lament that I could not preserve the allure of metre and rhythm that form the very soul of any ghazal in this translation. I offer my humble apologies to my readers for these poetic failings. 

I set my heart free in this obscenely bad world
Thus destroying myself with my own hands
So what if you shunned me and went away
The darkness of grief has come to dwell in my heart
A wish is not readily available to me even in thoughts
O, the keeper of accounts* Why have you made my heart so devoid of wishes?
My numb melancholies passed in such a manner
They cast their gloom over every lane of the city
My dying heart had no illusion about you
You have once again done injustice by rekindling its hope

                                                                        - Ishu Priye 
******

Used as a metaphor for GOD.


Image Copyright © Anil Goyal
This image titled "HAUNTED" has been used here with the kind permission of my dear friend ANIL GOYAL. You can follow his compelling work on the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/anilgoyal


Copyright Of Ghazal © 2020 by Ishu Priye Madhok
This work cannot be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever (except for any non-commercial use) without the express written permission of the author. For more details on terms of use please visit the Copyright Policy/ Terms Of Use page on the blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Anonymous,
    I am happy that you liked the ghazal. Thank you for taking some time out to read this blog.
    Regards,
    Ishu

    ReplyDelete

Three Most Viewed Posts From This Blog